Author Topic: OHC & Kilobot problems  (Read 10871 times)

UzL-OC-Team

OHC & Kilobot problems
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »
Hello,

I hope somebody can help us, we are new to kilobots. We tried to reinstall the bootloader on one kilobot (we followed the manual 4.2.4), but after that, the ohc stayed in the firmware mode, although we put the programming jumper back to the "normal mode" position. Actually its not possible to do anything with the ohc (no matter what we tried, we couldn't get it back to normal mode).

Some other problem occured as we tried to program a kilobot, now it can exist only in two states: completely off or when setting the power-jumper, the programm (which we uploaded before) starts (run mode). Any other actions like setting the kilobot in sleep, charge, reset or bootload mode aren't possible (nothing happens). In addition the kilobot led is always red. Sometimes it "works" to get it out of the run mode, it stops and the red led is flickering alternatly with blue or magenta (which isn't distinguishable).

Are there any possibilities to reset a kilobot or ohc manually (on the hardware)?

Thanks!

kteam

• Administrator
Re: OHC & Kilobot problems
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:38:12 AM »
Hello,

for the Controller, to reset it you have to use AVR Studio Software.
First connect your Controller to your computer and set the jumper in normal mode.
Open AVR Studio and select Tools->Program AVR-> Auto Connect.
Then select the AVRISP MkII Programmer and push Connect button.

One windows must open, under the program tab, Select the file Controller.hex as Flash hex file. And push the Program button. This will reinstall the initial firmware in the OHC.

After that the OHC must be works as initial.

For the Kilobot, it seems that you have program the Robot with the cable directly. In this case, you have erase the bootloader and all its basic function. You have to use the KilobotController interface as explain in the chapter 4.3.1.

Now to reset the Robot in its initial state, set the jumper on the OHC in firmware mode (to program the Kilobot), connect the Kilobot with the cable to the OHC, and under AVR Studio upload the file KilobotFirstFirmware.hex.
Then finally you can use the Robot as normal. Reset the jumper in normal mode and program your Robot as explain in 4.3.1 (IR programming without any cable on the Kilobot).

Best regards

UzL-OC-Team

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »
Hello kteam,

thanks for your help, the solutions did work.
Unfortuenatly there occured another problem: whenever we try to upload a program on the ohc for programming it to a kilobot, the ohc goes in to the firm ware mode, its impossible to do anything else after this happened. fFor continueing its necessary to reset the ohc, if you don't try to upload a program on the ohc, it works properly: you can set the kilobot in any mode.
For excluding the case that our program causes this problem, we tried to do the steps from the manual to calibrate the motors of a kilobot. After uploading the Kilobot_motor_cal.hex on the ohc, it started to make a noise (peep). We are not able to program the kilobots now.

Do you have a solution for this problem, too?

Thanks!

tourajs

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »
Hi,

I have the same problem. I programmed OHC to the initial program but I can just use it to set robots in different modes and when I try to upload a program to robots, OHC becomes disconnected and I have to reset it to initial program again. Thus, there is no way to program the robots now!!

Please help...
tnx
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:08:53 PM by ROBOTX »

UzL-OC-Team

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 11:01:03 AM »
Hi,

we discovered that it's possible to program a kilobot over the wire with the ohc. but its still impossible to send a program directly without wire from the ohc to a kilobot, also its not possible to calibrate the motors.

tourajs

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »
I also confirm it. I need a solution for this problem!!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:33:41 PM by ROBOTX »

kteam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:40:07 AM »
hi,

it seems that you have upload the Kilobot_motor_cal.hex (file created for a Kilobot) inside the OHC using the "Advanced->Select alternate controller file". Which means that the controller has erased it own firmware.

In this case, please upload the controller.hex file inside the OHC using AVR studio.

Once your controller working, you have to use the button "Browse" (three dots inside a box) to select the file to upload inside the Kilobot. Please also verified in the Advanced menu that there isn't any tick infront the "Select alternative controller file" (to avoid to reprogram the OHC).

Finally press the Flash button and once the pop up closed the bootload button (if your Kilobot are in pause mode belove the OHC).

Best regards

UzL-OC-Team

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:51:44 PM »
Hello,

it seems that you have upload the Kilobot_motor_cal.hex (file created for a Kilobot) inside the OHC using the "Advanced->Select alternate controller file". Which means that the controller has erased it own firmware.

no, we didn't do this. we found out, that if we use the firmware from the harvardteam http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/ssr/projects/progSA/Kilobot_documents.zip for the kilobots and reset the ohc firmware like documented in the harvardmanual, its possible to program the kilobots over the ohc again.

Are there any differences between your firmware files (Controller.hex and KilobotFirstFirmware.hex) and the ones from harvard? Are the sourcecode files availiable somewhere?

kteam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:18:47 AM »
Hello,

not these files are the exact same from harvard. And as they are provided from Harvard, we didn't have the source code for these.