Author Topic: Controller does not connect  (Read 6712 times)

arseni

Controller does not connect
« on: February 18, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »
Hello,

After using the Kilobots for a while, and everything ran smoothly we soddenly encountered a strange problem with no apparent significant change made by us.
The controller manager will not connect to the OHC ( indicated by a red Disconnected notation on the bottom right corner). we tried restarting and re-installing  the software several times. We also tried to change USB ports with no success.

When we re-install the driver at the COM USB Serial Port we receive the following message:

'Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.'

when we look at the drivers properties at 'Driver File Details' the following list appears:

... \ftser2k.sys
...\serenum.sys
...\ftcserco.dll
...\ftserui2.dll

Provider: FTDI

all the above seems to be the right settings, therefore we believe it is not causing the problem.

above all, we notice the red 'Disconnected' notation changed briefly once or twice to a green 'Connected' for a split of a second.

Leds status on the OHC:
the 2 red leds ( Diode for connection test , (6) on manual ) and 1  green led  (Power on led ,(7) on manual) above the OHC are constantly on, and 2 other green leds are flashing. (the 2 little leds above the Power on led when looking at the diagram form page 11 on the manual - Figure 3.2)

we'll be regretful for any help.

kteam

• Administrator
Re: Controller does not connect
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:56:38 AM »
Hello,

maybe the OHC controller was flashed with a wrong firmware. You have certainly load a firmware made for a Kilobot inside the OHC.
Try to reflash the OHC using AVR studio with the "Controller.hex" file. During this operation be sure that the jumper on the OHC is correctly set.

Best regards
K-team

arseni

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:47:40 AM »
Hi again,

The problem does not seem to be wrong firmware. its a new computer, and the only software we have is of the Kilobot.  \

Anyway, we cannot load the Kilobot  program again, since the controller is disconnected..
we checked the jumper and it is correctly set. all the leds are on, so it does not seem as a cable problem..

we noticed that on the bottom left it is written: no port available.
maybe this can help to identify the problem.

thanks again

arseni

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »
Hi,

we tried to change computers, and the same problem remains.
we noticed that a few times (2 or 3 ), the green 'connected' button returns for a very short time (less than a second)

another thing that can help. when looking at : device manager -> Ports -> USB Serial Port (COM4) -> right click & 'properties' at tab 'general ' we get the following message:

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer.
 (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the
computer.

this message appears only part of the time. rest of the time we get:

basically the message keeps changing all the time between those 2 states.

hope all that can help..
all the best
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:56:11 PM by arseni »

kteam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 08:05:49 AM »
Hi,

it seems you didn't understand what I mean. You have to upload a new firmware inside the OHC controller. It is not a computer problem.
Connect you OHC to your computer, open AVRstudio, and reflash the OHC using the "controller.hex" file.

Best regards

arseni

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 11:47:53 AM »
Hi,

I tried to do that.
first of all, I'm not sure if I'm using the right settings. there are many options and there are no instructions in the manual how to flash the OHC via the AVRstudio.

when I do try to do so, using 'auto connect' or 'connect' - I always get 'failed to connect'.

I hope it isn't a hardware problem with the OHC.. but all the leds ore on. how can I detect if that's the case?

kteam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:07:54 AM »
Hi,

if you have always the message "Failed to connect", please look at the Peripheral manager and see if the OHC is detected.
Normally it must be seen as a Serial Port (FTDI) and an AVRisp mkII (Jungo).

If none appears when you connect the OHC to your computer, then there's certainly a Hardware problem. In this case, the solution is to send back the OHC to K-Team for repair.
Best regards

arseni

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »
Hi,

I finally solved the problem!
In AVR I went to:

Tools > Program AVR > Connect...

Then I had to manually select the device, I checked the label on the chip it-self, in my case it was "ATmega328". only then was I able to flash the .hex file (under the program tab).

Thank's for Your help!

Arseni.

frankie9

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 01:53:37 AM »
Actually, I want to remaind you that kilobot use "ATmega328p".
And I am wondering if you know how to solve my problem which I just posted.
Thanks.