Author Topic: Calibration and infrared programming  (Read 4380 times)

robin_Bordeaux1

Calibration and infrared programming
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:49:32 PM »
Hello,

I am working with the Kilobots and I was able to do some experiments with those robots. But now I dont know why I cannot program the robots with the "Kilobot Controller" program, but I still can program the robots using the wire and AVR Studio.

It seems that when I push the "Program Flash" button the software the OHC is completely flashing itself instead of programmind a little part of his memory. So I have to program the robots one by one... this is not very convenient ^ ^. But I can controll the Kilobots with the "kilobot Controller" program.

The other problem concerns the accuracy of the calibration. After a lot of calibration, robots still have innacurate moves... That's quite annoying because I put my program for building pattern formation and the robots dont move as expected... could I have some advices on how to make my Kilobots more accurate ? :)

Thank you in advance for the time you will take to answer me.

Best regards,

Robin Despouys,

kteam

• Administrator
Re: Calibration and infrared programming
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 09:15:29 AM »
Hello,

have you tried to reload the Controller.hex file to the OHC directly with AVRstudio? Then, when you load a program to the Kilobot through wire, it erase the bootloader. You have to reload first the KilobotFirstFirmware.hex through AVRstudio (and the cable), then use the OHC to flash your own firmware (through IR).

To ensure a correct move of the Kilobot you have to use the robot on a very smooth floor (glass, marble,...).
Be very vareful on the pin. Do not bent the pin after the calibration, it will change the move.

Best regards
K-team

robin_Bordeaux1

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Hello,

I reloaded the Controller.hex file to the OHC with AVRstudio and so I reloaded first the KilobotFirstFirmware.hex, but actually I think the problem is with the "Kilobot Controller" program or with the OHC because when I press the button "Program Flash" the OHC flash itself completely with my program and becomes unusable.

Thank you for your advices.

Best regards
Robin Despouys

kteam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 08:04:16 AM »
Hello,

this happen if you have the "Select alternative controlller file" ticked in the advanced menu. Please ensure that this option is not ticked.
verify that the jumper is correctly set on the OHC too.

Best regards

robin_Bordeaux1

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 12:00:54 PM »
Hi,

I already checked that I was using the good options ^ ^. To my mind it's a dis-functioning of the OHC...
Anyway I can still program the robot that's a good point.
So I want to program some self-organizational behaviors and I have some encouraging results, I already built an application that elect a leader in the swarm and then I want to do an "leader-follower" application like I saw on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7BK6wVGRJ0. I would like to know if you have the source codes that allow to do that in a simple way.

best regards,
robin.

kteam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:16:36 AM »
Dear Robin Despouys,

for the OHC, please send it back for a repair.

Unfortunately we don't have any other source code that the one in the Kilobotcontroller.zip or in the chapter 5.1 of the Kilobot User's Manual.
Try to contact Mr. Michael Rubenstein or the professor Radhika Nagpal at Harward University directly (bottom of the page of):

http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/ssr/projects/progSA/kilobot.html

Best regards,
K-TEAM