Applications in Education
Typical Educational Uses and some User Examples
Our robots are currently used in a wide range of teaching activities, as nothing helps a student understand robotics better than testing algorithms on a real robot! Some possibilities:
- Courses in robotics and real-time programming. Real robots make the course material instantly applicable and relevant, appreciated as much by teachers as by the students! For example:
- Course on real-time programming given by the Technische Universität of München, Germany.
- Courses in artificial life (e.g. neural networks, classical AI, genetic programming, fuzzy logic). See:
- Course on adaptive robots given at the University of Aarhus, Denmark.
- Course on neuro-fuzzy controllers offered by the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Course on robot learning mechanisms given at the Technische Universität of Graz, Austria.
- Courses in hardware interfaces. A real robot provides both motivation and a basis for the hardware implementation.
- Courses in automatic control. Nothing can capture a student's attention like experiments on real robots. For example:
- Exercise on trajectory tracking given at the Automatic Laboratory of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Tell us how you have used your K-Team products to add a dash of real-world panache to your courses!
Advantages of K-Robots
Why are K-Team products unsurpassed for use in education?
- Our robots are simple to use. Built to be used by those who may not necessarily have extensive robotics expertise, our robots are simple to use, simple to program (see the long list of compatible software) and well documented.
- Our robots are high-performance and very small, requiring very little area for use. A normal table for a Khepera is the same as a tennis court for a robot 50 cm in diameter! Koala is one of the smallest full terrain robots available!
- Our robots are reliable and can be used by people with little experience in electronics and mechanics.
Each K-Team Product has its own Strengths
- The Khepera is the smallest of our robots and can be used on an ordinary desktop. Its compact size and equally compact price make it a fantastic educational tool.
- The Koala is larger, more powerful, and a better platform if students have to implement their own electronics on the robot, perform on-board video processing, or traverse rough terrain.
- The KoreBot board is a modular hardware controller which allows the creation of custom robots. The software, hardware and mechanical modularity leave all options open for virtually any student project.