Introduction to Koala
Koala is a mid-size robot designed for real-world applications. Bigger than Khepera, more powerful, and capable of carrying larger accessories, Koala has the functionality necessary for use in practical applications (like navigation, mapping, artificial intelligent,…), rides on 6 wheels for indoor or outdoor all-terrain operation, with a sports stylish bodywork for attractive demonstrations.
Easy to use, the Koala base robot can be programmed using the GNU C environment or remote controlled using the K-Team serial protocol. We deliver a complete library, so the user can focus on the algorithm. The library is open and can be modified, allowing a high customization for the customer.
To facilitate the programming of the robot, we support several development environments, from standard cross-C developments to more sophisticated tools like LabVIEW® , MATLAB® or SysQuake. Please note however that this software is just a suggestion and not at all needed to use the robot. Any other programming environment capable of communicating over a serial port can also be used. The communication protocol implemented on Koala is described in the user manual.
Koala and its modules have the following very interesting features:
- Compact (30 x 30 cm)
- Indoor or outdoor use
- Powerful Embedded Computing Power running on Linux Ubuntu
- Easy to use by the connection to very standard and well known tools or using the existing Library
- High modularity in order to fit to a large number of needs. Compatible with any USB, Ethernet or Serial devices.
- Multiple sensor arrays
- Swappable battery pack, docking ready
- High quality and high accuracy DC motors and gearbox
- Various fixation points for extensions